Who Doesn't Want A Hot Air Balloon Ride?

Who Doesn't Want A Hot Air Balloon Ride?
It's one in a lifetime. Why not you?

Friday, March 20, 2009

Sponsored balloon ride in memory of relatives

TWO pensioners from Wootton Bassett are taking to the skies in memory of late relatives.

Frank Ashton, 87, and 81-year-old Maureen Best have organised a sponsored hot air balloon flight to raise money for Prospect Hospice.

The flight will take place on May 2, just a few days before what would have been the 61st birthday of Maureen’s daughter Ann, who lost her battle with cancer last year. Frank also lost his second wife, Mary, to the disease in 2006.

The pair met at a Christmas event at which they were the only two people able to ballroom dance, and their friendship has grown from there, aided by their shared interest in fundraising.

Frank said: “My aim is to raise as much money as possible for the hospice.”

Frank and Maureen will be joined in the basket by friends and family, including Maureen’s two daughters and her grandson, and Frank’s two grandsons and daughter-in-law.

Maureen said: “We’ll have a doctor with us as well, which could come in handy. I’ve never been in a hot air balloon before but I’m not really nervous. I’m more concerned about getting in the basket.

“The going up doesn’t bother me, but I am a bit more concerned about where we land. I think Ann would have liked this way of raising money and I think it’s a good way of remembering her.

“They were fantastic at the hospice. The nurses were absolutely wonderful, especially Michelle. Prospect helped to set up the house so she could come home, but unfortunately she was never able to.”

Maureen’s daughter, Hilary, who will also be along for the ride said: “The amount of good that they do for the families is probably not really understood. They really take the strain and I don’t think we could have got through it without them.”

Frank, who was involved with setting up a hospice in Lancashire before he moved to Wootton Bassett seven years ago, has previously received a Westlea Good Neighbour Community Award.

In 2007 Frank organised a sponsored walk in aid of Prospect, which raised about £2,000.

He said: “I’m very happy to support the hospice and I’m looking forward to the flight. I hope lots of people will sponsor us.”

To sponsor Frank and Maureen call Prospect on 01793 813355 or drop into any of the hospice’s shops. Details can also be found at www.prospect-hospice.net.

Source

1 comment:

Jodie Smyth said...

I am the grand-daughter of Mrs Mary Gardiner and I am shocked to stumble across this article stating that my late grand-mother died to the disease of cancer. I am absolutely appalled with this article and the false statement; she had no such thing as cancer and didn’t attend Prospect Hospice at any stage in her life.