Who Doesn't Want A Hot Air Balloon Ride?

Who Doesn't Want A Hot Air Balloon Ride?
It's one in a lifetime. Why not you?

Monday, April 20, 2009

Hot-air balloon ride – at 81


SYLVIA WARD has finally had her experience of a lifetime – a year later than planned.

Her daughter bought her a flight in a hot-air balloon for her 80th birthday in January 2008.

But each time she tried to take off, the flight was cancelled because of bad weather.

But she finally had her chance to fly last month at the age of 81.

“I was beginning to think it wasn’t going to happen,” said Sylvia, who lives in Beddau.

She travelled to Biggleswade, near her daughter Jan’s home in Aylesbury, for the flight.

“Whenever I’ve seen hot-air balloons over Jan’s house, I’ve said I’d love to do that, it must be a wonderful feeling.

“The family picked up on that and I found the ticket for my balloon ride in my Christmas cracker, just before my birthday.”

On the day of the balloon flight, Sylvia still couldn’t believe it was happening.

“I went 1,000ft in the air, but I had no feeling of movement because it was so smooth – it’s similar to the feeling in a plane but you’re in the open air,” said Sylvia, who has three children, eight grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

“One of the things I found amazing was looking down at the trees and all the birds were way below me.”

But adventurous Sylvia won’t be attempting a parachute jump for her next birthday.

“I’ve told Jan I’m not doing anything as daring as this. She suggested wing walking and I said no – definitely not.”

Sylvia and the other 15 balloon passengers were treated to a Champagne reception when they landed.

“We were presented with a certificate signed by Richard Branson, which was wonderful,” she added. “Everyone was full of beans because it was such a brilliant experience.”

Source

No comments: