Who Doesn't Want A Hot Air Balloon Ride?

Who Doesn't Want A Hot Air Balloon Ride?
It's one in a lifetime. Why not you?

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Wounded soldiers honored by hot air balloon


AUGUSTA, Ga. - Many have fought for their country and been wounded in service, so at Fort Gordon those wounded warriors were honored with a day just for them.

"I look at my kids and look at the past history and where we came from and I want to pass that down to my children," said Master Sgt. Royce Harvey, a wounded soldier.

Words of a Soldier who fought in battle and served his country for over thirty years. He and others were honored at Fort Gordon for their sacrifices Saturday. One of the attractions were hot air balloon rides, but due to bad weather the rides were postponed for a later date.

"I've been in both theaters of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan and what we were dealing with was trying to control the terrorists that want to destabilize the government; that's plain and simple," said Sgt. Harvey.

Sgt. Harvey said he enjoyed the work he was doing overseas, until one day when all of the dangers and risks of war caught up with him.

"This particular day we came under small arms fire. We pushed forward and we got hit by and IED," said Sgt. Harvey.

In the attack, he suffered a bad neck and head injury. It put him in the Wounded Warriors Program.

"They have taken me from one level and got me to where I can transition into a new part of my life that I'm going to be moving into."

Although Sgt. Harvey may not be on the battle field anymore, he says he will continue to serve his country.

"I love the military, I love the army, I love continued service, and I'm going to continue serving the country but in a different way now."

The organizers of honoring event say if weather permits, they are going to try again Sunday to get their hot air balloons up in the sky.

Source

No comments: