Who Doesn't Want A Hot Air Balloon Ride?

Who Doesn't Want A Hot Air Balloon Ride?
It's one in a lifetime. Why not you?

Friday, July 17, 2009

A hot air balloon pilot shares the highs and lows of his trade


Q:How did you get into hot air ballooning?

A:I blame it on my brother-in-law. He used to work with a hot air balloon pilot. To take flight in a balloon requires some assistance from a chase crew, so this pilot was always looking for new people to help out. My brother-in-law offered my assistance. I was hooked right from the start. After a number of flights helping as a crew member, you would be rewarded with the opportunity to go on a flight with him. That was all it took. I had to get my own balloon so I could go on every flight.

Q:How much does it cost to get started with hot air balloons?

A:Balloons are a lot like automobiles. You can find decent used balloon systems for as little as $5,000-$10,000. New hot air balloons have a base price of $30,000. Options can add another $5,000 to $15,000.

Q:What are the best conditions for ballooning?

A: Balloon flights typically take place right after sunrise and a couple of hours before sunset. These are the times when the winds are usually at their calmest. I also look for high pressure systems to settle over our area as these usually provide light winds and bright blue skies.

Q:What is the best thing about ballooning?

A:We love it as a family outing. Our kids love to pitch in and help. They each have their own job assignments. They look forward to traveling to various balloon events and seeing all of our extended ballooning families.

Q:What is the most difficult aspect of flying a hot air balloon?

A:Getting your crew out of bed an hour before sunrise.

Source

No comments: