Who Doesn't Want A Hot Air Balloon Ride?

Who Doesn't Want A Hot Air Balloon Ride?
It's one in a lifetime. Why not you?

Monday, September 7, 2009

Balloons ready for launch in Garden City


FINNEY COUNTY, Kansas – The Hot Air Balloon Classic starts this weekend in Garden City.

It’s not something you hear every day.

"My name is Royce Miller and I'm a balloonist, and the name of my balloon is the Green Hornet,” said Royce Miller, balloonist.

And for the kids, it’s surely not a sight they see every day.

“It was awesome,” said Jasper Partin.

But this weekend is the Sixth Annual Hot Air Balloon Classic in Garden City and the sky will soon be aglow with 13 of them. Even for some adults, it’s the first time they’ve ever seen a hot air balloon up close.

“Quite intimidating I think, it's a lot bigger down in person seeing it first hand rather than seeing it up in the air like you do,” said Brainna Bustamante, teacher at St. Mary’s School.

The kids watched in awe as Miller explained the history and mechanics of hot air ballooning. They also got an up-close look at putting one together and felt the head produced by the burner.

“It was kind of cool sitting with my friends, watching it blow up and turn around, we got to see the inside of it a little,” Partin said.

For nine years, Miller’s been piloting balloons. He says there’s nothing as peaceful as floating along the sky and he wants to spread the word. With his visits, he hopes to inform the public about the joys of ballooning and help the kids broaden their horizons.

"I encourage kids to come out and see balloons, I encourage their parents,” he said. “Like I said, it's just more for the whole family and I want, I like that when I see a family out together enjoying something like this.”

Opening ceremonies start Saturday morning with a balloon launch at 7 a.m. at the Finney County Fairgrounds.

Source

No comments: